- The brain is the body's most complex organ.
- There are around 86 billion neurons in the human brain, all of which are in use.
- Each neuron communicates with many other neurons to form circuits and share information.
- Proper nervous system function involves coordinated action of neurons in many brain regions.
- The nervous system influences and is influenced by all other body systems (e.g., cardiovascular, endocrine, gastrointestinal and immune systems).
- Humans have a complex nervous system that evolved from a simpler one.
- This complex organ can malfunction in many ways, leading to disorders that have an enormous social and economic impact.
Ask An Expert
Ask a neuroscientist your questions about the brain.
Do you believe any of these common neuromyths? Test your knowledge.
Research & Discoveries
See how discoveries in the lab have improved human health.